Vision and Mission Statements
The Chemistry Department is dedicated to
- providing a comprehensive, relevant curriculum at all post-secondary levels,
- producing knowledgeable graduates for careers in academia, industry and government,
- conducting significant research in chemistry,
- promoting a diverse population of faculty, staff and students, and
- promoting the collegial exchange of ideas, independent thought, and the highest ethical standards.
The Chemistry Department pledges itself to encourage in the broadest and most liberal manner, the advancement of science and particularly chemistry in all of its branches through its education, research, and service missions
The Chemistry Department is committed to helping each student achieve his/her personal academic potential by creating an environment that promotes
- frequent interactions between faculty and students,
- independent thought, collegial exchange of ideas and high ethical standards,
- development of innovative instructional techniques,
- use of modern educational technology in lecture and laboratory courses, and
- increased opportunities and greater participation by under-represented minorities.
The Chemistry Department is committed to conducting research on fundamental and applied problems by
- supporting scientific inquiry of a significant nature by individual faculty and student investigators, and
- promoting the development of innovative interdisciplinary research programs.
The Chemistry Department is committed to enhancing the public welfare and economic development of eastern North Carolina through
- outreach programs to chemistry students and educators
- participation and leadership in professional organizations and
- development of strategic partnerships with other departments, academic institutions and chemical industry.